Saturday, June 9, 2007

Garden Asparagus with Lightened Hollandaise

I've been out in the garden a good part of the weekend digging down into the earth to cut the prolific asparagus. I had good friends to dinner last night so I lavished a pound of cleaned and peeled--about 2 pounds without the ends snapped off and unpeeled--on the four of us.

I also tried a new--really a variant of a Hollandaise--sauce. We all enjoyed it and there was a great deal of mopping up with bread of the extra, rather liquid sauce, on the plates. I wanted a sauce as sexy as the classic one but less heavy and fattening--less cholesterol as well.
I made it in a blender using one whole egg, 1/4 cup of tarragon vinegar, 1/4 cup of water and a quarter teaspoon of kosher salt. I turned on the blender and let it run frothing everything up. While it was running. I put the plastic covered--deepish dish--asparagus in the microwave for 4 and 1/2 minutes. I pricked the plastic. I also melted 1/2 pound of butter until it started to boil. With the blender still running, I slowly poured in the butter through the cover with the plastic cup removed. It took about a minute.

The asparagus went on a serving dish and the sauce in a pitcher. Yummy

No comments: