Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Bowl of Pasta

They say that confession is good for the soul so I will tell what I made for my dinner. I brought a small pot of water to a boil and threw in two handfuls of brown rice penne. I poured in a dollop of olive oil. I turned down the heat and wandered back to my computer. I realized with a start that I had been coking the pasta too long. Sure enough, when I returned to the stove, the water had boiled away and the bottom layer was glued firmly to the bottom of the pot. I saltvaged what I could and spooned it into another small pot and add a little water and more olive oil. I foraged in shelves and refrigerator and found the following to add: two small cloves of garlic--I minced them finely--a tube of Italian pepper paste which went in as a two inch squirt, about two tablespoons of ketchup straight from the bottle and a happy finding of some lovage leaves from the country hat I sliced thinly. If I hadn't found the lovage, I would have added some other herb. I stirred and heated. I put it in a bowl about the size of a Chinese rice bowl, ate it with a spoon and enjoyed it thoroughly.
No, I didn't start out to use ketchup, but it worked fine. Confessed, my soul is now fine.

No comments: