Thursday, January 31, 2008

More Fish Tails (Tales)

Once many years ago, a wise person--who I sadly do not remember--told me that if you have an idea keep it the evidence will soon turn up. I think they were talking about innovation or science. However, it also happens re food. Just today--having recently writen re Le Bernardin about seafood ecology--I got a publicity release in connection with Blue Water Cafe, a fine, Vancouver seafood restaurant, where the chef Frank Pabst is very into sustainability and has an "Unsung Heroes" festival featuring herring, mackerel, sardines and octopus. I love them all and the first three are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and low enough on the food chain not to be replete with mercurey. The restaurant will donate ten percent of the take on this menu to the Vancouver Aquarium (great place) Oceanwise sustainable seafood program.

It's nice to have a good reason to mention a non-New York restaurant as they inevitably constitute a great part of my dining. I love Vancouver and am sorry not to get there more often as a good friend and foodie Nathan Fong and a wonderful chef with a major Japanese restaurant, Tojo's, are located there.

For more stephan@bluewatercafe.net

No comments: