Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Gluten Intolerance

Every day seems to bring new information about this common plague which also explains the title of my forth coming book--fairly soon I hope. I am also lactose intolerant. All of my new recipes take this into account. Although I was intolerant as a child, I was only characterologically intolerant say of bad food as an adult. then the intolerances of my chilehood--no birthday cake and ice cream at parties--came back to haunt me.
Now I am riveted as reports come in of an almost ten-fold increase in gluten intolerance. It is also fascinating that the gene can be present until activated at a later age in one's forties and even beyond.
Lactose intolerance can also be activated later in life; but there are entire populations that cannot tolerate milk and milk products such as butter, cream and cheese. Pity my poor husband, a born Viennese, who no longer can eat the delicious deserts of his child hood.
I hope with my forthcoming book to ameliorate the limitations we intolerants endure. This week's Recipe of the week on bkafka.com has an excellent and safe Chocolate Mousse. Even my husband approves.

No comments: