Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Another Happy Kitchen Accident

Actually, this started out because of a mix up. I thought that i had invited some people over for drinks. It turned out that they thought it was for the following week. So there I was with a pound of peeled shrimp and only two extra guests who would now have dinner instead of cocktails. What to do.
Once again I rummaged around in the kitchen. I found an open jar of harissa left from another meal and a opened can of Thai coconut milk--the thick kind--I always have some chicken stock around from boiling up the carcasses of the many chickens that I roast. So this is what I did. However, unless you like to eat your sauce with a spoon as I do, you might want to cut the sauce ingredients in half. Rice is essential for the sauce in any case.

Sauce ingredients:
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup Thai coconut milk
2 tablespoons harissa

1 pound cleaned shrimp--smaller are better
1/3 cup canola oil

At this point, it goes very quickly. It's a good idea to have the rice ready.
Put the oil in a ten inch saute pan. Let it get to the shimmering stage. Put in the shrimp and cook tossing them around until the outsides are opaque. Pour in the remaining ingredients and cook for about two minutes or until shrimp are cooked through. Serve and eat.

No comments: