Sunday, November 29, 2009

Baking Potatoes and Dog Predations

I realizeed the other night that the Idaho people have done a fantastic job of marketing. We now think of a baked potato not only as an Idaho, but also as a large, oval, brown-skinned potato.
what brought it to mind was that I was baking potatoes with red skins, that were rather round and about half the size of what we ordinarily think of as a baked potato. A half hour in the middle of a 500 F oven and they were cooked to perfection with very crisp skins, soft whites exposed by crushing the sides in and the whole made even better with olive oil and kosher salt. No one at the table ate only one and the latter rounds were kept warm by not being cut. They also are gluten and lactose free.
Obviously, late season, large Yukon golds also bake very well as do what used to be called Maine potatoes with brown skins that are good winter-keepers.
By the way, I haven't forgotten my promise to the reader who wanted a meatloaf recipe for her husband with multiple intolerances and allergies. However, I made the mistake of turning to the computer while the ground meat that I had put out was coming to room temperature. When I turned back, my darling, agile and greedy dog had eaten more than half of the meat so it will have to wait until next week.

No comments: